Tuesday, April 30, 2013

Remembering Our Founder of the American Catholic Church in the United States, the Most Reverend Lawrence Harms, D.D.


It must have been 6 or 7 years ago I discovered, through my life partner, the website for the American Catholic Church in the United States (an Independent Catholic Jurisdiction not under jurisdiction of Rome).  From that day, to the first phone conversation I had with Archbishop Harms, I knew that I could finally fulfill my promise I made to God way back in high school - that I would go into ministry.

I will never forget that first phone call with Archbishop Harms.   He introduced himself as Larry.  I asked how he would like to be addressed.  He said, "Please, just call me Larry".  I knew from that one response that this was a man who was unpretentious, kind, gentle, and genuinely caring.   I responded, "Whatever you ask, Your Grace".  

From that first phone conversation, I began phone dialogue periodically with Archbishop Harms.   After the 4th phone call over five years, I went back to college and completed my degree in Sociology from Indiana University.  I finally graduated in 2009.  My last phone call with Archbishop Harms before I applied for seminary, he asked me what type of ministry did I see myself in.   I responded that for the last three (3) years I had worked in the HIV Community on the Ryan White Part B Advisory Council Program, ensuring those with HIV get the services they need, and those who don't have HIV, how to protect themselves.  He simply said to me, "I want you to focus your ministry with the HIV Community".   I had my call and my mission.

In the fall of 2010, I started on my application to St John XXIII Theological Institute, a seminary which Archbishop Harms also had a vision so that new priests could be trained.   On March 28, 2011, I received my acceptance letter from the Most Reverend William Johnson, Bishop of the Diocese of St Luke, in which I resided, and the Auxiliary Bishop for The American Catholic Church in the United States.   

That was over two years ago, and I am now in my third (3rd) year at St John XXIII Theological Institute in their Master of Divinity Program.   I also last year launched a Not for Profit organization called, The Kristen Center (named after one of our first donors).  It is focuses on delivering programs and services to those with HIV and those who care for them.  We are unofficially launched.  The official launch will be after my graduation from St John XXIII Theological Institute and I pray, after I am called Sacred Order of Priest.  


This past Sunday, April 28, 2012, Archbishop Harms rested his personal ministry and returned to Our Lord. But the legacy he left will continue for years and years to come.  He left a thriving independent Catholic jurisdiction with its motto "Serve All with Love", with parishes (Pastoral & Outreach Centers) from the east coast to the west coast.  He also left a seminary in which students called to serve can obtain training.  Quite a legacy for such a short time that ACCUS has been around (launched May 23, 1999).

For me, I rest in comfort knowing that the late Archbishop Emeritus Harms is there when I pray for ACCUS every day; that he is interceding for ACCUS as well in prayer to God for us; and for our current  Presiding Archbishop the Most Rev. William Johnson, D.D, whom he personally chose to continue His good work.  

I continue my studies with vigor, even against great personal struggle at home, because the HIV ministry I serve here is one that the late Archbishop Emeritus Harms asked me personally (over the phone) to pursue and continue.  

Therefore the best way I can honor Archbishop Emeritus Harms is to pursue my studies and ministry with vigor.  I thank God everyday for ACCUS, for without it, I would not be in ministry.

Please remember His Grace, the Most Reverend Lawrence Harms, D.D, Archbishop Emeritus and founder of ACCUS in your prayers.   Thank God everyday he had the courage to live his life as Pope John XXIII - looking at the cross with Christ's arms wide open, welcoming EVERYONE.

Peace,
Bro Jeff

Rev Brother Jeff Wolfe
St John XXIII Pastoral & Outreach Center
The Kristen Center
The American Catholic Church in the United States