Wednesday, January 19, 2011

A Brief History of my discernment - PART III

Before I continue with Part III of a Brief History of my discernment, I want to provide a clarification for those who may be considering a vocation in the priesthood.  As I have found out, there are actually two applications which need to be completed and submitted.  The first one is a fairly short one and determines whether or not you will be accepted by the seminary to become a first year student.  Just because you have submitted your application for seminary and you have been accepted, this does not mean nor guarantee that you will be ordained a priest. 

A second and longer application is required if you choose to pursue becoming a priest.  This application is called "Application for Holy Orders".  This particular application is submitted directly to the Archbishop who has sole determination as to whether you have a calling to be ordained or not.

For me this past Saturday, I have submitted my application to attend seminary at John XXIII Theological Institute to pursue a Master of Divinity (M.Div.) degree. This degree program is typically designed to prepare the ordination candidate for full-time ministry.  This degree for the most part is the same whether you are applying to a Catholic seminary or a Protestant seminary - at least in the mainline churches.  However, the actual courses differ based on whether you are to be ordained in the Catholic church or the Protestant church.  For instance, the Catholic curriculum is a bit more heavy on liturgy (Mass Practicum , etc.). The Protestant may focus on areas other than liturgy, such as Pastoral Counseling.

I am waiting to find out if I am accepted to attend seminary at John XXII Theological Institute this year.  The Application for Holy Orders is much more detailed in the questions and requires almost an essay like format to respond to the detailed questions.  This is the portion of the application which is critical for the Archbishop to determine if one is truly called of God for ordained ministry or not.  In addition to the Application for Holy Orders, a detailed background check is performed along with a drug test (if determined necessary by the church).  As an ordained priest, you will be one who will have the faith and trust of the public.  Within the American Catholic Church in the United States (ACCUS), the church in which I am pursuing my Master of Divinity degree and, God willing, ordination, it has a Zero-Tolerance policy for sexual harassment and/or sexual abuse.  This is even more important since the Roman Catholic Sex Abuse scandal broke onto the scene in 2002. 

I am pleased to announce, as is the American Catholic Church in the United States (ACCUS), that since its inception back in 1993, there has NEVER been charges of sexual abuse or harassment, NO even rumors of such behavior in the history of the church.  This is extremely important to ensure the public's trust in the church and in particular the priest(s) who serve the congregation. 

I submitting my application for Holy Orders the end of this month (January 31, 2011).  I ask for your prayers that God's will be done and that the tug I have been feeling all my life truly is God calling me to serve his church.


Now to Part III....

So during my first three years of college, I began to see the nuances and differences between the Roman Catholic Church and the different denominations of the Protestant Church. John felt Christians had to act on their faith, and so the Methodist church became a huge supporter of social justice, which even today can be seen by the direction, sermons, and monetary support the United Methodist Church exerts toward social justice.

The Roman Catholic Church, however, seemed much different. It seemed to “feed” my faith when I attended mass so that I could go into the secular world during the week with a renewed spirit of Christian faith. The Roman Catholic Church, through its liturgy, spoke to my faith, my spiritual life and as a result affected my personal behavior. This church was where I felt God speaking to me personally, directly – I wasn't just “acting” like a Christian, but I wanted to BE a Christian in every sense of the word. However, as far as my vocation went, I felt I needed more time and so I continued to attended Lawrence UMC during the summer years of my college days.

The spring of my freshman year in college, my mother was diagnosed with breast cancer. This was a blow that affected me for the next four years. As a result, my grades suffered. During my junior year in college I received a phone call from my father late one night. My mother was in the hospital – her breast cancer had metastasized to her brain. Her prognosis was grim. So my senior year, I moved back home, attended IUPUI and took care of my mother. Being away from St. Paul's was difficult, but I thought this an opportunity to explore being a minister in the UMC. If God was going to call me to serve, I wanted to get it right. I wanted to be exactly where he wanted me to be. So I began the process my senior year in college of Declaring my Candidacy for Ministry in the United Methodist Church. This was a process that according to the UMC's Book of Discipline (it's their church law), the steps I took were as follows:

  1. Contact your pastor, district superintendent (DS), or another deacon or elder
  2. Read The Christian as Minister (recommended, not required)
  3. Participate in Ministry Inquiry Process (recommended, not required)
  1. Member of The United Methodist Church or baptized participant of a recognized United Methodist campus ministry or other United Methodist ministry setting for one (1) year
  2. Apply to DS [District Superintendent] in writing, including statement of call; ask for admission to candidacy program and assignment of a candidacy mentor
  3. Complete candidacy online enrollment and $75 payment
  4. Complete beginning stages of candidacy with candidacy mentor
  1. High school degree or equivalent is required
  2. Request interview by Pastor/Staff Parish Relations Committee or equivalent in your ministry setting; provide statement of call; and responses to disciplinary questions in ¶310
  3. Request recommendation by charge conference or equivalent as specified by district committee
  4. Continue candidacy program with candidacy mentor and academic requirements

Finally I had begun the process to enter the ministry. Shortly after Declaring my candidacy, I went before Parish/Staff Parish Relations Committee to answer the questions specified in P310 of the Book of Discipline for United Methodist Church. I successfully completed my interview and shortly after was Certified as a Candidate for Ordained Ministry in the United Methodist Church. That process as well is specified in the Book of Discipline as follows:

Completion of the following:
  1. Written response to ministry questions in ¶311.2a as well as ¶310
  2. Psychological assessment, criminal background, and credit check
  3. Notarized statement certifying have neither been accused in writing nor convicted of a felony, misdemeanor, or any incident of sexual misconduct or child abuse
  4. Provide other information upon request
  5. Agree to make a complete dedication to the highest ideals of the Christian life
  6. Examination and approval by district committee on ordained ministry
  1. Annual recommendation by charge conference
  2. Annual interview and approval by district committee
  3. Annual report of satisfactory progress of studies and copy of transcripts from university or school of theology

It was during this time, my mother continued to deteriorate in her health and my father was becoming affected by my mother's illness. I became the primary household manager for our home taking care of my mother, attending a class now and then to work toward my degree, and attempted to take care of the house while dad struggled with mom's illness. It was, at the least, my first test on my faith and how I would handle it when bad things happen to good people – especially in my family.

I wanted my mother to know I was OK. I didn't want her to worry and she was so proud that I would be going into the ministry. I couldn't wait to complete my college degree and start seminary because my mother would be long gone before my ordination. So, as the Book of Discipline allows, once a Candidate for Ordained Ministry is Certified and continuing their education (which I was, but clearly not a full schedule), I applied to become a Licensed Local Pastor within the UMC. My mother would be able to see serving as a licensed (not ordained) minister in our church serving as the Youth Pastor. The process to be a Licensed Local Pastor according to the Book of Discipline is as follows:

Local Pastor - Completed candidacy certification, licensed, and assigned a clergy mentor ¶314

  1. Certified candidate for minimum of one (1) year, maximum twelve (12) years
  2. One (1) year in service ministry
  3. Completion of one-half the basic graduate theological studies to be eligible for commissioning
  4. Health certificate completed by medical doctor
  5. Written and oral doctrinal exam and written autobiographical statement
  6. Interview and recommendation by three-fourths vote of district committee
  7. Interview and recommendation by the board or ordained ministry
  8. Election to provisional membership by clergy session
Commissioned to ministry of elder or deacon as provisional member
The day I was Licensed by my Bishop, Bishop Hodapp, my Senior Pastor (Rev Dale Miller) and Associate Pastor (Rev. Dr. Robert H Bennett) laid hands on my head during a special service at the church. Shortly after I was Licensed as a Local Pastor, my mother died. I was licensed as a Local Pastor in May of 1986. My mother passed on October 22, 1986. At least my mother, in her eyes, saw that her son would be ok without her and was “in her eyes” a minister (even though I was only licensed and not ordained). My License was for one (1) year per the Book of Discipline and each year would have to be renewed until I completed my theology studies (M.Div.) and became ordained. 

Look for Part IV later this week....

Peace,
jeff