Tuesday, February 1, 2011

A Brief History of my discernment - PART V

Working went well and Brian and I began to look for a new home. We had lived for several years in Eagledale (on the west side of Indy near his parents) and then when his parents moved to Brownsburg (an outlying suburb of Indianapolis), we followed and moved in two doors down from them. Brian's family is extremely close. Being an only child, I began to see how a family with siblings operated – supporting one another – loving one another, etc. After about 1 year, Brian and I decided to move out-of-town and found a new home in West Lafayette, IN (the home of Purdue University).

So in May of 2003, we moved to West Lafayette. I was by then working at Eli Lilly as a Senior Project Manager (managing all documentation necessary for FDA approval for new drug trials). So I commuted every day from West Lafayette to Indy. August 2003 I started feeling really bad. Within 24 hours of really starting to feel horrible, I was in ICU at St. Elizabeth Medical Center in West Lafayette, IN and the doctors were desperately trying to find out what was wrong with me.

After 72 hours I was diagnosed with five (5) different deadly diseases, all of which were in my spinal fluid. The physician told Brian on the third night to prepare for a funeral just in case. The doctor who was assigned to me was an Infectious Disease physician named Dr. Barbara Bielska. After almost 6 months in and out of the hospital, one year of level 2 antibiotic treatment (of which for this particular drug I was the only patient in the country that was on it as long as I was) my recovery began – so did a renewal in my faith.

The next several years, I started my recovery. I began looking at my faith again. I realized several years later after my doctor told me that she had no idea how I survived and that I was a one in million on the survival list. I knew. She knew. Brian knew. Brian and my mother's intercession from heaven to God, I am convinced God allowed me to survive and return to my normal state of health. After several years being successful in the secular world, God, once again, was not just tugging at me, he was yanking me back to the church.

None of this could have been possible without the devotion, love, and servant attitude of my best friend and spouse, Brian.  His patience even through my anger with God, my short temper tantrums during my recovery and my pitiful attitude, Brian always made me be grateful for what God provided to me and what I have - not what I had lost.  He was, in a sense, Christ serving and carrying me during my recuperation.  Though God made my recovery possible, if it were not for Brian's love, patience and kindness, I might have lost the gift that God and Christ gave me.  For that I will be always and forever grateful for Brian.

I started working on my personal faith development and Brian and I started searching for a church. Low and behold, Brian comes across the ACCUS website. As he read about the Church, he encouraged me to read as well. Brian saw the call in me (don't ask me how he knows, but I truly believe he is empath). He encouraged me to finish my college degree and submit an application to ACCUS. So in 2009 I started back to school and finished my degree with graduation in May of 2009 with my Bachelor of Arts Degree in Sociology with a minor in Medical Sociology. Brian said me we should move back to Indy and I should start a congregation of ACCUS in Indianapolis. I then initiated contact with his Eminence, Bishop Harms and hence began a discussion that lasted for the last few years intermittently. I began the vocation discernment process with ACCUS.

Stay tuned for Part VI coming soon....
Peace,
jeff